Friday, May 29, 2009

A pleasant suprise

Just yesterday, down in Scott's Michigan, I was working on something (a secret) on one of our projects down there, and the owner of the drywall company we use walked up to me and said "so, your green, right?". I looked down at my arms and made sure I had not turned any shades of colors that are not my own, as I answered, "Dark green brother!" (I prefer 'sustainable' or something close to that, but since he caught me off guard, I thought that I would see what he was getting at.)

I got up off of the floor, where I had just ripped my brand new pair of work pants, and walked towards him. That is when he handed me an empty tube of drywall adhesive that he had been using on this house and the past house he did for us. Right away, I saw a green leaf on the bottom of the empty adhesive tube and got excited. I asked him to tell me about the adhesive, and he started his sentence, something like this, "Since I know what you stand for, I searched this adhesive out and actually used it on the little house out back. My wife has been pushing me to get into this green movement and we thought it would be a great opportunity to get started on that track. Here is an empty tube for you to take with you."

To that, I responded, "Wow, Chris, I know I mentioned that we wanted to use low or no V.O.C. ahesives or paints whenever possible, but you took that ball and ran with it. Do you know why it is important to have the drywall adhesive be low to no V.O.C.?" To which he replied "Because of the off gasing through out the years. It is one of the reasons people can get sick in their homes." For those of you who know me, could you not see me clapping at that point? I was blindsided in a good way by his comment and that he looked around the house to find me to show me that tube!Bravo! A very valued Team Member indeed!

It wasn't very long ago, that Eric Hughes and I were out knocking on our supplier's doors trying to get green products from them. They did not even kow what we were talking about. Now, I have our drywaller, walking in to find me, putting up with me blowing my nose and sneezing to make sure that I knew that this house and any other house that they did or do for us is safe! Indoor air quaility is huge, we almost said that at the exact same time.

I was absolutely blown away by what I saw yesterday, and it gives me an renewed hope in this industry! I can almost gaurantee that the drywaller will take what he has learned to other builders and help them keep their clients safe by using low to no v.o.c. products in their homes. I was so excited yesterday......

5 comments:

  1. That's really cool. Now if all of your sub-contractor would follow suit. That would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, he will drywall turtle's hope! I do wish that all the subs were that way, most are, the rest are learning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks anonymous. Being cool is tough thou...

    ReplyDelete